Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Sunday, November 28, 2010

Week 24


This week begins my sixth month of pregnancy! Baby Boy Huth is growing steadily, having gained about 4 ounces since last week. That puts him at a little over a pound. He’s almost a foot long (picture an ear of corn), his brain is also growing quickly now, and his taste buds are continuing to develop. His skin is still thin and translucent, but that will start to change soon.The thick, cheesy coating that protects Baby Huth’s skin, known as vernix, is beginning to form on his body. By the time he is born, vernix may only be seen in the creases or folds of the skin, unless your baby comes earlier than expected (let’s hope not). I had always wondered what all that white stuff was on the baby when I watched a Baby Story!  He also has sweat glands that begin to appear for the first time. His lungs are also starting to form little branches and will eventually start producing a substance called surfactant, which prevents his lungs from sticking together and helps him to breathe after birth. This will help him become a star athlete!
As for me, my uterus is about the size of a soccer ball by now. It is becoming harder to put on shoes with laces and socks, bending over to pick stuff up, and shaving. It helps if I lean to the side a little though. I haven’t had strangers come up to me yet asking when I am due or trying to feel my tummy. The asking when I’m due is easy to handle, but I’m not sure what I am going to do when a stranger tries to rub my stomach! Any suggestions?!?!

The next visit to the doctor (Week 26) I will have the glucose screening test (also called a glucose challenge test or GCT). This test checks for gestational diabetes, a pregnancy-related high-blood-sugar condition. Let’s cross our fingers and toes and hope I pass it! Another big change is the amniotic fluid surrounding Baby will begin to increase in volume after this week. This continues until delivery when my uterus will hold up to 2 pints of amniotic fluid! WOW…that is a lot of fluid. As for my belly button, it is still an innie. Although, Justin wants it to become an outie so he can point and laugh! I guess only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment